Thursday 4 April 2013

Cushing's Awareness Blog Challenge 2013 - Day 4

How I found out I have Cushing's...
 
WEIGHT! It's pretty much that simple.
 
I started dating my boyfriend in November 2009, I never really thought much of my weight as I weighed 135 pounds and have always been around that weight. I was always active but never really worked out and could pretty much eat whatever I wanted.
This was one of my more serious relationships and we pretty much started living together right from the beginning. About a year later I started putting weight on but I mean I just blamed this on being in a "comfortable" relationship. You always hear about people starting relationships and putting on a little bit of weight and well I guess I just thought this was normal. I did start to get a little concerned so I started working out and then over the next two years I was on and off with personal trainers and even diet coaches. I would lose motivation at times but I would get right back on track. It was 2012 where I noticed the most weight gain and the summer of that year I started training for a half marathon where I figured if I ate right I would lose the weight for sure. This was complete oposite and I knew there was something wrong. Despite all the training, I was still gaining weight.
Meeting with my Endocrinologist changed my life forever. I originally met up with her so she could properly teach me about portion sizes but she knew there was something up. She started doing all kinds of blood work and urine test and sure enough in December 2012 is when I was officially diagnosed with Cushing's Disease. My cortisol levels were through the roof and an MRI confirmed a tumor was growing on my pituitary gland. I also have a lot more side effects (most of the ones that come with Cushing's), but weight is the one that really stood out for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment